Tuesday 5 March 2019

Are our lives too busy?

I was having a conversation with a friend, who was telling me about her busy schedule and how she was finding it difficult to balance the various aspects of her life. Being a big manga fan, my mind immediately went to various shonen manga, where the sensei says that to be more efficient one needs to cut down unnecessary movements. I tried to apply this to life, where we have a lot of small unnecessary activities which slow us down and eat into our time. This could be as small as checking our instagram feed. But what does the Bible have to say about it? I believe there are two aspects to consider here.

I. The first aspect is discipline.


Why do we need discipline? The Bible more than once employs two metaphors to describe the Christian walk. It is compared to a soldier (Eph 6:10-18; I Tim 6:12; II Tim 2:3; II Tim 4:7), as well as to an athlete (II Tim 2:5; Heb 12:1; I Cor 9:25). Both these roles require a lot of discipline. Athletes have strict dietary restrictions; they wear clothing that allows them to train and perform more efficiently; they have strict schedules; and they cannot slack off in training even a single day if they are to maintain peak performance. Soldiers similarly cannot get involved in civilian affairs (II Tim 2:4); need to maintain their physical fitness; wear the full armour (Eph 6:10-18); and march in files as a mark of their discipline. In fact, during the time Paul wrote the epistles, Roman army was already famous for its superior discipline.

There are two aspects of discipline we can see from these metaphors. One, there are things we must do, and two, there are things we must avoid. Let's look at the athlete. He has to work out every day. He does various drills and exercises as part of his training. If he slacks off, he can not survive in the competitive field for long. He cannot afford to exercise just once a week. It's a daily effort. Similarly, the Christian cannot slack off in his Bible reading or prayer. It's a daily exercise which cannot be compromised. And just like the athlete when he develops disciplined schedules (fixed times for waking up, reading the Word, etc.), he will be more effective in his training (I Tim 4:8).

The athlete also has to avoid various things. For instance, junk food. If he eats junk food and has an unhealthy diet, it will adversely affect his performance. Similarly, the Christian has to avoid things that could slow down his sanctification. He has to be serious about avoiding every unnecessary thing in his life. That could be watching movies or TV shows, getting involved in extra curricular activities at College more than required, hanging out with friends more than required, spending time on social media or other addictions. Do all (whether eating or drinking, playing or talking, sleeping or singing, etc.- all) for the glory of God (I Cor 10:31). That also means: anything that does not bring glory to God needs to go out from my life.

II. The second aspect is being an active Christian.


I know that this could be categorized under the first aspect of discipline. But I felt it necessary to put it in a separate point because there is a lot to say here. In the parable of the talents (Mathew 25:14-30), we see the master is not happy with the third servant. What was his mistake? He certainly did not commit a big sin, such as fraud or murder. He did not steal the money given to him, but dutifully returned it to his master. What then was his mistake? His mistake was that he was not active in his discipleship. He did not make himself busy for the work of the Master.

I fear that a lot of us may often think that avoiding sin, reading my Bible and praying daily, and going to Church regularly is enough. Sadly it is not. One of my mentors says that there is a joy in being worn out for the Lord. Paul says that he was poured out as a drink offering (II Tim 4:6; Phil 2:17)). He says that he beats his body and brings it into subjection (I Cor 9:27). It is very active. In other words, if I am busy because in addition to my work, I have Church activities or other ministries, don't complain about it. That is how it should be.

I have been an utter failure in this regard for many many years. By God's grace, I feel I am growing but have yet a long long way to go. But because I fail, I should in no way reduce the bar. I should instead rely on his grace more and keep striving.

If my life is too busy, there might be a lot of junk activities I need to get rid of. And then when I have gotten rid of them, I still need to be busy for the Lord, actively seeking the Kingdom of God and his righteousness. May we all seek to do so day in and day out for the glory of His name.

No comments:

Post a Comment